Whooping cough is a highly contagious and acute respiratory infection. It can affect everyone and is caused by a bacterium known as Bordetella pertussis. The infection is common in infants, children and the elderly. However, it can be prevented with pertussis immunization vaccine. In adults, the infection often occurs due to a poor immune system. Research shows that adults who develop whooping cough are those who might have developed their immunity from childhood vaccination that reduces as they grew up. Whopping cough is characterized by bouts of cough. This is often observed in the second or paroxysmal state of the disease. Despite being an acute and a highly contagious infection, it can be managed using home remedies as well as antibiotics. If not managed, it can easily developed further and cause a secondary bacterial pneumonia. This is a common complication of whooping cough.
Whooping cough is caused by a bacterium, Bordetella Pertussis. It often attaches itself to the lining of airways of the respiratory system. It attaches itself to the upper side of the respiratory system and causes whooping cough by releasing toxins. These toxins cause swelling and inflammation of the respiratory system.
Whooping cough also occurs when you breathe bacteria that are present in droplets released by a sick person. When a sick person coughs or sneezes, the droplets that come out contain the bacterium. Being a highly contagious disease, if you breathe in the bacteria, you will be infected. In most cases, infants and children contract the infection from caretakers and parents who may not even know that they have whooping cough. It is easy to spread the infection during its early stages.
Whooping cough develops in different stages. This is one of the reasons as to why you may live with the infection and pass it on to others without your knowledge. The delay is however an incubation period and it takes about 6 to 20 days for symptoms of the disease to occur. When infected with Bordetella pertussis bacterium, the first symptom will be mild and it develops with time. Early symptoms of the disease are similar to those of common cold. Therefore, it is easy to ignore them. They include
- Blocked and runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Irritating and dry cough
- Sore throat
- General tiredness and a feeling that you are generally unwell
- Infants may cry
These early symptoms will last for one or two weeks before they become severe. The second stage of whooping cough is characterized with intense bouts of cough. This stage is known as paroxysmal stage with symptoms ranging from
- Intense coughing
- Heavy phlegm when you cough
- A whoop sound after coughing is common in elderly persons or adults
- Vomiting especially after a cough and is common in infants and children
- Fatigue and redness of the face because of intense coughing
- Cough bouts at this stage last between one to two minutes. In a day, you can have up to 15 bouts and will last for at least 2weeks.
- Gagging, gasping and temporary shortage of breath infants
- In extreme cases, infants may become blue and choke whenever they cough
It is with no doubt that whopping cough symptoms are quite similar to those of a common cold. It is therefore important to be keen on these symptoms especially in infants and young children. Infants can choke or gasp to death and is often a complication of whooping cough. Visiting a doctor is highly recommendable for proper diagnosis and treatment of the disease. A medic will prescribe medication. Additionally, whooping cough can managed efficiently using home remedies especially during its initial stages.
There are many home remedies for whooping cough including the use of garlic and ginger among others.
- Garlic is one of the best and effective home remedies for whooping cough. Make garlic syrup and give five drops to a sick person. A teaspoon of the syrup should be given 2 to 3 times a day for effective treatment of whooping cough.
- Ginger is also an effective treatment for whooping cough. Mix fresh ginger juice with a cup of fenugreek decoction and honey for taste. The decoction provides a diaphoretic effect that helps in the treatment of the disease.
- Almond oil is additionally an excellent home remedy for whooping cough. Mix five drops of the oil with ten drips of onion juice, preferably white onion juice and ginger juice. The treatment should be used thrice a day for a fortnight.
- Radish is also an incredible home remedy for whooping cough. Mix radish juice with honey and rock salt. Take the juice thrice a day until the cough goes away.
- Turmeric is quite effective in treating alleviating whooping cough symptoms. It is a natural medicine and can eaten raw. You can also get powdered turmeric and take a pinch twice a day.
- Raw onion relives whooping cough. Chop a fresh onion and extract its juice. Mix the juice with honey and leave for five hours. Have a tablespoon of the juice daily until the cough goes away.
- Additionally, you can use calamus to treat whooping cough. It is a highly effective herb. Have a pinch of roasted calamus with a teaspoon of honey. The treatment is quite effective because it is an antispasmodic therefore; it helps to prevent severe bouts of cough in children and in adults. However, give it in smaller amounts to kids for the best results.
- You can also treat whooping cough using raisins. Prepare a sauce by grinding 100gms of raisins in regular drinking water and add 100gms of sugar. Heat the mixture on medium heat for ten minutes. Preserve the sauce or rather the liquid you obtain after heating and have a teaspoon once or twice a day to treat whooping cough.
- These remedies are quite effective in treating whooping cough. However, it is imperative to take a lot of water when under treatment. Whooping cough can cause dehydration especially in children and the elderly. To prevent such incidences, drink plenty of water, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and soups.
- Additionally, give a child plenty of fluids to provide energy. Note that a child loses a lot of energy when he or she coughs. Plenty of fluids will replace lost energy and prevent dehydration. Hold the child in a calming manner, let the baby rest in a calm environment and if the baby is younger than one year, let him or her lie on the side or on the stomach rather than the back. This is to ensure that no chocking occurs when the child coughs.
- Give smaller and frequent meals to prevent vomiting. Mist vaporizer and a humidifier will also help to loosen phlegm, sooth the cough and loosen secretions to prevent choking in children and the elderly.
- Ensure your environment is clean and free of pollutants and irritants that can aggravate your cough. Stay in a dust, smoke, fume and aerosol free environment. Additionally, keep warm and get plenty of rest to enhance quality treatment. Epsom salts baths are relaxing and enhance treatment of whooping cough.
Diet is very important in the treatment and prevention of whooping cough. Ensure a well balanced diet for a sick child. This should be given in smaller and frequent amounts. Additionally, give plenty of fruits and soups especially during the initial stages of the treatment. It helps to clear whooping cough.
- Fruits and foods that are highly nutritious should be given in plenty. It helps to boost the immune system of a child or a sick person. A diet that is rich in vitamin C is very important. Consider broccoli, cabbage, spinach and light food. This is for easy swallowing bearing in mind that coughing is quite painful and can cause swelling and irritation of the throat.
- For infants, it is important to breast feed efficiently. Breastfeeding for the entire treatment period is highly recommendable. This is because breast milk supplies all nutrients and gives the baby energy. Avoid milk and any other milk product. This is because it builds phlegm that can easy choke the baby and lead to death. If possible, get a standby oxygen just incase asphyxiation occurs. You can give the baby plenty of fruit juices and water to prevent dehydration especially if whooping cough is accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea.
Whooping cough is a preventable disease. It is important to maintain proper hygiene in your home to prevent the disease. If anyone is infected, it is essential to prevent the spread of the disease. Wash hands regularly especially when touching items used by a sick person. If you are an adult, take antibiotics for five days before going anywhere near the children to prevent spread of the disease.
- Whooping cough can also be prevented efficiently through an immunization vaccine. Being an epidemic problem, medics recommend immunization of children at the age of 2months. 5 shots will be given until the age of 6years. The vaccine is known as DTap and it helps to prevent whooping cough at childhood and during adulthood.
- Additionally, it is essential to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthy to boost your immune system and to prevent whooping cough.
Enhancing Your Health and Quality of Life
Most people find it obvious that health can impact their quality of life. As a result, they underestimate the complexity of the relationship between the two concepts and how much control they have over both. Minor changes can make a surprising difference when it comes to enhancing the quality of life, health, and wellness.
What Is Quality of Life?
Everyone has a general idea of what it is to be healthy. However, quality of life is a much more nebulous concept. Most people think of it as a subjective measure of happiness, but there’s more that goes into maintaining a high quality of life than just finding things to be happy about. Enhancing quality of life requires a commitment to making positive changes like those found in this wellness and lifestyle blog.
How Health Impacts Quality of Life
There are many measures of quality of life. Some apply broadly to entire populations and assume a state of overall good health. Others seek to better understand the impact of specific diseases and chronic health conditions on the overall quality of life. What’s clear from the data in aggregate is that objective health measures have a direct impact on subjective well-being.
This is good news for people who do not suffer from any specific chronic conditions but may have room for improvement in terms of lifestyle-related health metrics. Simple lifestyle changes such as switching to a diet that contains less sugar and fewer processed foods, improving sleep hygiene, or committing to a new exercise routine can have an outsized impact on general health and quality of life, alike.
How Quality of Life Impacts Health
The relationship between quality of life and health doesn’t just go one way. People that report a low quality of life tend to suffer from higher levels of stress, which increases their risk of developing other serious health conditions. Thankfully, just as simple lifestyle changes can have an outsized impact on overall health in many people, there are easy interventions that have been shown to improve people’s quality of life.
Simple Tips for Enhancing Both Health and Well-Being
There’s no way for the average person to eliminate stress from their life entirely. However, people can take steps to change their outlook on life in ways that promote well-being, enhance the quality of life, and thus improve overall health. Try these simple tips to get started.
- Incorporate exercise into daily life instead of viewing it as a chore.
Keep an active mind by learning new skills or information.
Prioritize getting at least seven hours of sleep each night.
Stay organized to create healthier mental habits.
Practice gratitude instead of focusing on unfulfilled desires.
Find effective ways to cope with stress.
Put active effort into maintaining healthy friendships.
People who stay active in body and mind, view challenges as opportunities for growth, and commit themselves to the practice of basic self-care and maintaining healthy relationships almost always report a higher quality of life regardless of objective health measures. Implementing the tips above will help with both health and happiness.
Never Stop Growing
Personal development isn’t a goal to be attained but a daily practice. Remember that no one is perfect and progress isn’t linear. The key to enhancing health and quality of life is to stay committed to attaining this long-term goal even in difficult times. Try to stay on track by seeking inspiration and finding ways to incorporate positive habits into everyday life.
Low Testosterone: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
Do you find yourself feeling exhausted and weak?
Are you not able to think or focus as sharply as before?
Are you having problems with your sex drive?
If so, then it is possible that you may be suffering from Low Testosterone (Low-T).
Testosterone is an important hormone for men, produced in the testicles. It is responsible for many of the physical and mental characteristics of men. Low testosterone can cause a number of symptoms such as fatigue, depression, decreased libido and difficulty concentrating or focusing.
In this blog post, we will cover everything there is to know about Low Testosterone. We will look at its main causes, symptoms and treatment options.
What Is Testosterone?
Before understanding Low Testosterone it is important to understand testosterone itself. Testosterone is a male sex hormone that helps with various processes in the body including muscle growth, facial hair development and sexual function. It plays a major role in sperm production and erection capability. Without sufficient amounts of testosterone in the body it can lead to various health issues both physically and mentally.
Causes of Low Testosterone
It is normal for testosterone levels to decrease over time as men get older however there are certain factors that can contribute to Low-T such as:
- Hormone imbalances due to medical conditions like diabetes or obesity
- Infections such as HIV or mumps
- Anabolic steroid abuse
- Chronic liver or kidney diseases
- Certain medications including steroids and opiates
These factors can affect the hormones naturally produced by your body which can result in low testosterone levels over time leading to the symptoms mentioned earlier.
The Best Testosterone Boosting Supplement in 2023: TestoPrime Review
Symptoms of Low Testosterone
The most common symptoms associated with low testosterone are reduced energy levels, fatigue and decreased libido. Some men may also experience mood changes such as depression or irritability.
Other physical changes associated with low T include reduced muscle mass, increased body fat and an overall decrease in strength and vitality. Some less common symptoms include night sweats, breast enlargement (gynecomastia) and hot flashes.
In some cases, male infertility may be linked to a lack of testosterone production.
There are several warning signs that may indicate low levels of testosterone:
- Fatigue – feeling tired all the time even after sleeping 8 hours per night
- Depression – persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness Despair Loss of energy / motivation Apathy Inability to regulate moods Reduced libido (sex drive) Difficulty gaining muscle mass Decreased beard growth Anxiety/irritability Bone loss Weight gain Hot flashes Sleep disturbances Erectile dysfunction Hair thinning/loss
If you have been experiencing any of these symptoms then it may be time to get tested for Low-T. While some men experience only one symptom others experience multiple although unfortunately most men often confuse these signs with simply getting older and don’t seek medical help until their condition has become more severe.
How Is Low Testosterone Diagnosed?
The first step for diagnosing this condition is a simple blood test that measures your total amount of circulating hormones (known as Total T). This will determine if your level falls below what’s considered “normal” on average for an adult man between 19-50 years old (which usually means below 300 ng/dL).
Diagnosis of low testosterone involves testing for the hormone through either blood tests or saliva samples to determine whether the patient’s levels fall within the normal range. Blood tests will measure the total amount of testosterone produced by the body whereas saliva tests measure the bio-available amount that can be used by cells throughout the body.
It is important to note that certain medical conditions can affect test results so it is best to consult with a healthcare professional before testing for low T.
Your doctor may also order additional tests such as free T4 & TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) depending on other factors like thyroid function or previous examinations results. They will use this information along with physical examinations and patient history to diagnose Low Testosterone more accurately.
Read More: The Best Supplements for Building Muscle and Cutting Fat
Treatment Options for Low T Levels
Treatment options for low testosterone vary depending on severity and underlying cause but generally involve either medications or lifestyle modifications such as dieting and exercise in order to boost natural production of the hormone.
Medication therapy involves taking supplements such as HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) or testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Lifestyle modifications include dietary changes (increasing protein intake) and increased physical activity which can help increase testosterone production naturally over time.
It may take several weeks for these interventions to have an effect on T levels so regular monitoring is necessary when using TRT or supplement therapies in order to avoid side effects such as acne or gynecomastia due to high doses of hormones being taken over extended periods of time.
Additionally, psychological therapy can be used in some cases where anxiety or depression are thought to be contributing factors in low T levels.
Once diagnosed with low testosterone, it’s important that you seek treatment right away because untreated hypogonadism can lead to significant health issues over time including osteoporosis, heart disease and infertility in extreme cases! Luckily there are several ways in which you can treat this condition:
Diet & Exercise Plan
By eating healthier foods high in healthy fats like Avocados, Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish and nuts coupled with regular exercise routine consisting mainly weight training + aerobic workouts 3x week minimum will not only help increase muscle mass but also boost overall energy levels reducing fatigue making daily tasks easier!
Alongside this making sure enough sleep hours are had nightly (7-8 hrs) should also positively improve mood swings associated w/hypogonadism given proper rest gives our brains enough recovery time from stressful events thus preventing anxiety peaks overall helping reduce depression further if present!
Hormone Replacement Therapy
This involves using artificial hormones called Anastrozole or Exemestane which work by blocking estrogen production while stimulating natural production of testosterone within your own body thus increasing total hormone levels again over time gradually reducing any symptoms caused by decreased amounts before any real damage was done!
Depending on severity different doses might be prescribed but generally taking 1 pill daily should suffice eventually returning your levels back near normal ranges after roughly 6 months usage when monitored closely through regular doctor checkups during treatment alongside dieting/exercising regularly too!
Taking Testosterone Boosting Supplements
The most common, effective, safer and affordable option to boost testosterone levels is taking testosterone boosting supplements. The best testosterone booster supplement contains natural ingredients including minerals, vitamins and herbs that are clinically tested for testosterone boosting results.
These testosterone boosters are 100% safe and don’t include any artificial hormone, steroid or banned stimulant for short-time results.
Low testosterone, or ‘low T’, is a condition that affects men of all ages and can lead to a variety of health problems. Testosterone is responsible for the formation of masculine characteristics such as muscle mass and facial hair and is also important in fertility.
When testosterone levels are low, men may experience symptoms like fatigue, decreased sex drive, depression, irritability and others. There are also various forms of diagnosis and treatment available for low T.
In conclusion, Low Testosterone is a condition that affects many men across various age ranges with varying degrees of severity dependent upon individual circumstances. There are both physiological symptoms as well as psychological effects associated with this condition which can lead to reduced quality of life if left untreated for extended periods of time.
Diagnosis usually involves blood testing but should always be done with direct consultation from a healthcare professional for accuracy purposes prior to any form(s) of treatment being considered viable options for addressing the issue at hand long-term via medication therapies or lifestyle modifications depending on each individual case scenario best suited based upon results from said diagnostic process(es).
Should I Buy Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid Products?
When you find yourself in the drug store aisle looking for products to beat your acne into submission, you’ve usually got some important decisions to make. Should you buy benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid? It’s a natural question to ask, so how do you decide which is right for your needs?
Each has its ideal use cases, so to shed some light on things, we’re now going to look more closely at what they are. There are a variety of different factors at play here, so understanding what they are is crucial to a successful end result.
Whether you buy benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid depends on your skin
The first factor to consider in this interesting equation is your overall skin health. If, other than your acne, your skin is relatively robust, then a benzoyl peroxide (BP) product may be more suitable. However, if you’d described your skin health as poor, then the gentler salicylic acid route might be better, as it’s much less likely to cause aggravation.
Do you have any underlying health conditions?
Something else that will have a major bearing on which type of acne product you buy is whether you have any underlying health conditions. While both types of acne cleanser are available over the counter, your health may dictate whether you buy benzoyl peroxide or the alternative. Kidney disease, liver disease and diabetes are all conditions that may complicate things, so if this sounds like you, speak to your doctor before using anything.
How bad are you breakouts?
Another factor that influence your decision is the severity of your breakouts. If yours are on the severe side, salicylic acid might not make much of difference, meaning you’ll need something a bit stronger – benzoyl peroxide. However, if yours are at the mild end of the spectrum, salicylic acid should at least be part of your thinking.
How often do you sweat?
If you’re an active person in a role that involves lots of exercise that makes you sweat, you could end up with benzoyl peroxide bleaching your clothes – particularly if they’re dark in colour. However, salicylic acid doesn’t cause this issue, so it may be a better option for you.
What kind of acne are you experiencing?
The last factor that influences your decision on acne products is the type of acne you have. Should you have blackheads or whiteheads, salicylic is known to be most effective, whereas for mild pustules, it’s benzoyl peroxide.
Whether You Buy Benzoyl Peroxide Or Not Depends On You
Ultimately, the decision on which of the two options is preferable depends very much on all the factors listed above – and a few we haven’t too!
Your lifestyle plays a part, as does your skin type, acne type and overall health. As such, there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to beating acne.
What’s good for someone else may not be great for you, so it’s all about going through all the elements to find your answer. Failing that, if you just can’t decide, go and speak to your local neighbourhood dermatologist, as they’ll be able to quickly tell you which one is best for you.
How do I maintain my hookah?
Maintaining a hookah properly is very important. Because a hookah is narrow, has many hoses and comes into contact with...
Different Keg Coupler Types: How to Pick the Right One?
Keg Coupler is one of the most important components of the draft beer system. It is designed to be installed on...
The Power of Acting: How Acting Schools Can Benefit Your Career
Acting is a skill that not only provides entertainment but also has practical applications in different fields. Many professionals, from...
Effortless Elegance: The Versatility of Flowy Maxi Dresses
Dresses have been a fashion staple for many years. They are perfect for any occasion, whether a casual outing with...
How to select an ideal recruitment management software
Recruiting is commonly acknowledged as the most laborious and bureaucratically burdensome task for HR departments. As a result, recruitment management...
What Are Some Low-Cost Methods To Purchase SSL Certificate?
An SSL certificate can be purchased as straightforwardly as any other product from your preferred online retailer. To complete the...
Home Buying Process From Start To Finish
Buying a home for the first time can be an exciting and overwhelming experience. There are many factors to consider,...
Driving For Uber Requirements in Toronto
Bracing up to integrate yourself into the ridesharing business in Toronto? Well, it’s time to check out the requirements and...
Propane Boiler vs Oil Boiler: Pros & Cons
Are you considering replacing your old boiler with a new propane or oil-fired model? If so, you’re likely weighing the...
Where can I study a music production course?
If you’re interested in pursuing a career in music and want to improve your skills as a musician, consider taking...
5 Easy Ways to Breathe Life into Your Home Office
As the work-from-home model becomes more standard and with many employees opting to work remotely or to embrace a hybrid...
QualityRoofer.com Vaughan is a Top Roofing Company in Vaughan, Ontario
Here’s Everything You Need to Know About Determining Liability in a Rideshare Accident
Dirt Bike Styling Tips That Will Make Your Bike Stand Out
Enhancing Your Health and Quality of Life
Have An Enjoyable Holiday Season With These Backyard Games Essentials
Small but Mighty: The Power of Portable Car Fridges
Biography4 years ago
Jacqulyn Elizabeth Hanley is the Mother of Liza Soberano?
Home3 years ago
Epson L3110 Driver Free Download Latest Updated Version
Games2 years ago
Best Free To Play MMORPG To Try This 2021
Biography4 years ago
Who is Rose Dorothy Dauriac? Scarlett Johansson Daughter?
Biography4 years ago
Amanda Levy Mckeehan Biography, Family, Net Worth, Age, Affairs, Facts
Biography4 years ago
Jessica Ditzel Secret Information that Nobody Knows | Joe Rogan’s Wife
Biography4 years ago
What is the relation of Nathaniel Larry Osorno with Liza Soberano?
Home4 years ago
Liza Soberano Biography, Age, Family and Boyfriends